Malaysia Professional Visit Pass

Complete guide to obtianing a Malaysia profession visit pass

All foreign nationals who want to work in Malaysia need to get authorization to work. One of the work permits that the Malaysian government issues to foreign workers is the Malaysia Professional Visit Pass.

The Professional Visit Pass for Malaysia is different from the other types of Malaysian work permits because you wouldn’t actually be employed by a Malaysian company or organization. In other words, you are not on a Malaysian payroll – you will still be paid from an overseas company, but you will offer services to another company in Malaysia for a short period of time.

The Immigration Department of Malaysia is in charge of issuing the Professional Visit Pass but they will work with relevant authority bodies in your field to make a decision on your application. You need a sponsor in Malaysia to lodge the application on your behalf.

This article will detail the application process and requirements of the Professional Visit Pass Malaysia.

Who is eligible for a Malaysia Professional Visit Pass?

You can work in Malaysia with a Malaysian Professional Visit Pass if you fall under one of the following categories:

  • Foreign artist (filming and performance)
    • Stage artist (singing, music, dance, theatre, acrobatics, circus etc.)
    • Filming (in Malaysia, but with an overseas company)
    • Producing (filming)
    • Performance (in hotels, cultural centers, stadiums, etc)
    • Expert in arts management and screen-related arts.
  • Islamic missionary:
    • Islamic Teacher
    • Al-Quran Teacher
    • Arabic Teacher
  • Other religious workers:
    • Gurukkal
    • Granthi
    • Priest
    • Guru Dharma
    • Religious musicians and sculptors
  • International students attending religious courses studies with the Malaysia Bible Seminary.
  • Government officials travelling for official purposes (government to government program/governmental purposes)
  • Jockey expert
  • Volunteer
  • International student under a mobility program or industrial training

Who needs a Malaysia Visa With Reference for employment purposes?

Nearly every foreign national has to obtain a Malaysia Visa With Reference for employment purposes except nationals of the following countries:

Antigua and BarbudaAustraliaBahamasBarbadosBelize
FijiGambiaGrenadaGuinea RepublicGuyana
NauruNetherlandsNew ZealandPapua New GuineaSaint Kitts and Nevis
Saint LuciaSaint Vincent and the GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSeychelles
SingaporeSolomon IslandsSouth AfricaSwazilandSwitzerland
 TanzaniaTongaTrinidad and TobagoTuvaluUnited Kingdom
VanuatuWestern SamoaZaireZambiaZimbabwe

If you are from one of the countries listed above, you do not need to apply for an entry visa at a Malaysian embassy or consulate in your country/nearest to you.

How to apply for a Malaysia Professional Visit Pass?

You must have a sponsor in Malaysia to submit the Professional Visit Pass application on your behalf (eg. the company/institution you’ll be working/training in). Your sponsor has to submit the application before your arrival to Malaysia.

Your sponsor must lodge your Professional Visit Pass application to the Malaysian Federal Government Administrative Centre (Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration Department) in Putrajaya.

If you will be working in the filming and performance industry, they should send the application to the Central Agency for Filming and Performance by Foreign Artistes (PUSPAL) who will work with the Immigration Department to issue an approval.

Additionally, if you are in the filming industry, you will also need to receive an approval letter from FINAS (National Film Development Corporation Malaysia).

Applying for the Malaysia entry visa (Visa With Reference)

If you are from a country who needs a Malaysian Visa With Reference to enter Malaysia, you will have to apply for it at the nearest Malaysian embassy or consulate.

You can only apply for the Visa With Reference for the purposes of employment after your Malaysia Professional Visit Pass has been approved.

Certain nationals, however, don’t need to obtain an entry visa from a Malaysian embassy/ consulate. They can travel with the authorization issued from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration Department.

After arriving in Malaysia

Once you enter Malaysia, you must visit the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Home Affairs and receive the Malaysia Professional Visit Pass sticker on your passport. This serves as proof that you are working and living in Malaysia legally.

Documents needed for a Malaysia Professional Visit Pass application

The documents required for a Professional Visit Pass change depending on the occupations, but include the following:

  • A complete copy of your passport.
  • Passport-size picture of yourself.
  • Malaysia visa application forms (IMM.12 and IMM.38).
  • Letter of offer from Malaysian company/institution (your sponsor), including the reason for your employment/training.
  • A copy of your sponsor’s company profile (if applicable).
  • If you’re an international student:
    • Your resume.
    • Academic certificates
    • Proof of agreement/collaboration between your school and the company/institution sponsoring you.
  • If you are a religious missionary: Letter of approval from the Department Of Religion and the Islamic Religious Department.
  • Bank guarantee/personal security bond, if you are a Chinese citizen.

Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list of requirements. You and your sponsor should enquire with the Immigration Department of Malaysia regarding the full list of documents your sponsor must submit with the Professional Visit Pass application.

Conditions and duration of the Malaysia Professional Visit Pass

The conditions of the Professional Visit Pass include:

  • You cannot bring your dependent family members with you.
  • You must be officially employed and paid by an overseas company.
    • To work as an official employer of a Malaysian company, you will need an Employment Pass or Temporary Employment Pass.
  • For religious workers (non-Muslim):
    • You cannot extend your Professional Visit Pass for longer than three years.
    • You must meet the following age requirements:
      • Hindu monks (Expatriate Gurukkal), Sami Sikh (Granthi), Dharma Teachers and Priests must be at least 40 years of age
      • Religious musicians must be at least 35 years of age
      • Religious sculptors must be at least 30 years of age

A Malaysian Professional Visit Pass is valid for 12 months and can be renewed for another 12 months.

If you’ll be undergoing a training at a factory or hotel, the Malaysia Professional Visit Pass is valid for six months.